Welcome To BAMBA
New BAMBA Promotional Video
Go Greater Reading - Video
From Where We Stand-Reading, PA.
Full article and video - Check It Out
Pump Track in Reading, PA
- The City of Reading and the Bike HUB are planning the installation of a Pump Track above Pandora Park under the Viaduct.
Test Drive the best new MTB bikes around, on a Mt Penn trail
- Plus pick up some neat BAMBA gear, hats shirts …
- At Egelman’s Park
- May 23rd - SHIRKS Bike Shop Demo Day. PIVOT, Raleigh, Lapierre
Meet Mid –Atlantic IMBA chapter leaders, land managers, industry professionals, and Ride, Ride, Ride.
- IMBA Mid Atlantic Regional Summit at Snowshoe Mountain, WV.
- Close enough to drive and take your bike too.
- May 29th & 30th
Treat the whole family to Biking.
Sun., June 7 Tikes on Bikes
1 pm, Heritage Center Barn
Bring out the whole family and pedal along the Union Canal Trail with members of BAMBA for National Trails Day-Weekend. This cycling adventure will begin at the Berks County Heritage Center where participants will learn about basic bike maintenance like how to fix a flat, bike safety and local history. We will then pedal down the trail to the playground area at Stonecliffe where we will pause for a snack break and some play time. Then we will mount up again and return to our starting point for a nice cool treat! It’s important to stay hydrated, especially in the summer heat so don’t forget to bring a drink! Please call 610-374-2944 to register by June 1st.
Sat., June 13 Get Outdoors Day
11am-4pm Blue Marsh Day Use Area
Enjoy the national “Get Outdoors Day ” held at the Dry Brooks Day Use Area, next to the Swim Beach at Blue Marsh Lake. This is a wonderful fun-filled family event! Free admission too! Enjoy a scavenger hunt, mountain biking, water rescue demos, paddle sports, control tower tours, K9 demonstrations and so much more!
Sat., July 11 Kid’s Bike Rodeo
1-4 pm, Blue Marsh Lake
Saddle up yer bike, and bring it to Parking Lot D, where kids ages 4-12 will learn safe and responsible biking. Members of Berks Area Mountain Biking Association will lead kids through stations on bike-fit and a safety check, helmet fitting, basic bike maintenance and a bike-safe obstacle course. Prizes will be awarded, and lunch provided for participants by the Lakeview pavilion. For more information and to pre-register, call 610-376-6337.
Sat., Oct. 3 Take Your Kid Mt. Biking Day
1 pm, Blue Marsh Lake - Church Road Parking Area
Bring your children along for a fun filled family day of mountain biking! You can help pass your passion for pedaling on to those that matter the most: your kids. Take part in this internationally recognized outdoor event sponsored by the Berks Area Mountain Biking Association and enjoy all that nature has to offer. Enjoy the early fall scenery as we mountain bike along the easier trails around Blue Marsh Lake. Bring your mountain bike and helmet. This event is free, but pre-registration is required to 610-374-2944 by September 28th.
PRO CYCLING Road Race returns to Reading with the UCI 1.2 Reading 120.
- With possible grand fondo where amateur riders can ride the same course the pros will be racing on.
Active BAMBA Projects
Control unauthorized vehicles on Mt. Penn:
- BAMBA is fabricating (with the excellent talents of the Reading Vo-Tech) and installing robust locking gates on fire road entrances on Mt. Penn.
Maintaining Trail Quality:
- BAMBA will be providing the labor to install bridges over wet areas around Angora Farm.
- BAMBA Trail Manager is evaluating erosion sensitive trails during the spring thaw and hanging postings that inform bikers to avoid riding through these areas until the trails are healthy enough to accept riders.
- BAMBA is scheduled to clean out the deteriorating /unsafe jumps from the A-Line trail on Mt. Penn.
- BAMBA is in progress with the construction of a parking area adjacent to camp Lily in order to provide a safe, convent access to the Mt. Penn trails.
- BAMBA members conduct trail maintenance and embrace stewardship of Mt. Penn and Neversink Mountain.
Duryea Downhill Race
- BAMBA obtained major sponsorship / contributions for the 2015 through 2017 Downhill Events.
Hand Cycle Access
- BAMBA is continuing discussions in pursuit of widening the Klapperthal bridges on Nevershink Mountain. This popular location is ideal for persons confined to hand cycles, strollers, or wheelchairs to get outside and enjoy this most scenic trail.
2015 BAMBA Goals / Projects / Events
- Work towards making Reading /Berks an IMBA Ride Center
Ride center designation brings riders and commerce to the region.
- Promote From Where We Stand (FWWS) Video to Politicians, Land Managers,
Chamber of Commerce, Visitors Bureau, etc.
- Trail Head Kiosks: An important component towards IMBA Ride Center® designation.
- Thun Trail completion through RACC property.
- Reading is working with BAMBA on a new Parking Area near Camp Lily/Rotary Park and Fire Road Gate Replacements
- IMBA Mapping Project: BAMBA member Stephan Kincaid leading effort to electronically map local trails - http://www.mtbproject.com/
- Down Hill Trail Committee: A Line Rebuild. Proposal submitted to City of Reading
- IMBA Trail Building Grants - Apply for Grants in 2015 and beyond
-Birdsboro Reservoir Trails Project
Proposed joint venture with IMBA and Natural Lands Trust.
- Volunteer at French Creek and Blue Marsh Trail days. Dates TBA.
- Kids Programs-Take a Kid Mt Biking Day in October and other dates TBA.
- BAMBA Merchandise-Buy it, Wear it, Gift it Contact: Brian Holman 610-334- 2185
- Attend a Board Meeting, Present an idea and take the lead: Meetings second Tuesday of the month 7PM Canal St. Restaurant.
- Consider renewing BAMBA/IMBA membership online for $50 vs. $30
Best deal includes IMBA socks and a magazine subscription.
- Ride and encourage others to ride!