Welcome To BAMBA
New BAMBA Promotional Video
Go Greater Reading - Video
From Where We Stand-Reading, PA.
Full article and video - Check It Out
Schuykill River Trail is the BEST
Chosen by readers of USA TODAY the SRT is now leading the pack, currently ranked #1of 20, as the best urban trail in the USA. Vote on www.10best.com /Readers choice awards / best urban trail. Voting end Monday July 20.
New SRT maps are out, and will be distributed at the trail heads on Saturday August 1st
New Mt. Penn Trail Head Parking Lot
Enjoy the trails of Mt. Penn even more now that there is a new conveinent trail head parking facility located right in the center of the action. The15 car lot is just below the intersection of Angora and List roads, adjacent to the entrance to Camp Lily, and is open to all recreational users.
This BAMBA project came to fruition in less than a year from conception to completion through the excellent collaboration with the City of Reading, the persistent efforts of BAMBA members, and with special thanks to major contributors such as Stackhouse Bensinger inc., and Lyons & Hohl.
Helping Helping Keep Our Trails Clean
Dumping of trash on Mt. Penn trails has been a long standing concern of BAMBA and of all the recreational users of our beautiful trail system. In an effort to curtail unorthorized vehicicular access to the trails, BAMBA spearheaded a project to restore the existing deteriorated fire road gates on Mt. Penn. The recipe for success of this project included generous donations of materials, fabrication and construction skills of BAMBA members, sweat equity, help from the VoTech, and collaboration with the City of Reading.
Seven new, robust, bright yellow, locked, gates now guard the fireroad entrances on Mt. Penn, helping to keep our trails safe and clean.
Pump Track in Reading, PA
- The City of Reading and the Bike HUB are planning the installation of a Pump Track above Pandora Park under the Viaduct.
Treat the whole family to biking.
Sat., Oct. 3
Take Your Kid Mt. Biking Day
1 pm, Blue Marsh Lake - Church Road Parking Area
Bring your children along for a fun filled family day of mountain biking! You can help pass your passion for pedaling on to those that matter the most: your kids. Take part in this internationally recognized outdoor event sponsored by the Berks Area Mountain Biking Association and enjoy all that nature has to offer. Enjoy the early fall scenery as we mountain bike along the easier trails around Blue Marsh Lake. Bring your mountain bike and helmet. This event is free, but pre-registration is required to 610-374-2944 by September 28th.
PRO CYCLING Road Race returns to Reading with the UCI 1.2 Reading 120.
With possible grand fondo where amateur riders can ride the same course the pros will be racing on
Active BAMBA Projects
Maintaining Trail Quality:
- BAMBA will be providing the labor to install bridges over wet areas around Angora Farm.
- BAMBA Trail Manager is evaluating erosion sensitive trails during the spring thaw and hanging postings that inform bikers to avoid riding through these areas until the trails are healthy enough to accept riders.
- BAMBA is scheduled to clean out the deteriorating /unsafe jumps from the A-Line trail on Mt. Penn.
Mt. Penn Trail Mapping
BAMBA is in progress with a major trail mapping project in an effort to promote the bounty and variety of mountain biking on Mt. Penn. The project scope includes:
- Define the seven riding zones bounded by the roads on Mt. Penn
- Document the MTB trails in each of the zones, including identifying the start and end, and noting the unique features, and skill rating. Also, naming the trails
- Fabricate and install trail signage, and road markers to identify trail entrences
- Erect trail head kiosks displaying a comprehensive trail map and guide
- Make pocket map brochures available for riders to use on the trail.
Duryea Downhill Race
- BAMBA obtained major sponsorship / contributions for the 2015 through 2017 Downhill Events.
2015 BAMBA Goals / Projects / Events
- Work towards making Reading /Berks an IMBA Ride Center
Ride center designation brings riders and commerce to the region.
- Promote From Where We Stand (FWWS) Video to Politicians, Land Managers,
Chamber of Commerce, Visitors Bureau, etc.
- Trail Head Kiosks: An important component towards IMBA Ride Center® designation.
- Thun Trail completion through RACC property.
- Reading is working with BAMBA on a new Parking Area near Camp Lily/Rotary Park and Fire Road Gate Replacements
- IMBA Mapping Project: BAMBA member Stephan Kincaid leading effort to electronically map local trails - http://www.mtbproject.com/
- Down Hill Trail Committee: A Line Rebuild. Proposal submitted to City of Reading
- IMBA Trail Building Grants - Apply for Grants in 2015 and beyond
-Birdsboro Reservoir Trails Project
Proposed joint venture with IMBA and Natural Lands Trust.
- Volunteer at French Creek and Blue Marsh Trail days. Dates TBA.
- Kids Programs-Take a Kid Mt Biking Day in October and other dates TBA.
- BAMBA Merchandise-Buy it, Wear it, Gift it Contact: Brian Holman 610-334- 2185
- Attend a Board Meeting, Present an idea and take the lead: Meetings second Tuesday of the month 7PM Canal St. Restaurant.
- Consider renewing BAMBA/IMBA membership online for $50 vs. $30
Best deal includes IMBA socks and a magazine subscription.
- Ride and encourage others to ride!